Yesterday we talked about the benefits of the WooCommerce full-featured shopping cart over a free PayPal shopping cart. One huge group of benefits we didn’t discuss is the way WooCommerce can improve your search rankings and bring more visitors to your online store.
1) A new page for each product. When you add a new product in WooCommerce, it creates what is essentially a new page for each product. Search engines will rank product pages just like they rank other pages. Therefore, you will get another search listing for each product you add to your shopping cart. (This is not true for a PayPal cart, unless you manually create a new page for each product and add the product description, photo, short code and other info to the page)
2) Product pages can be optimized. Because you’re getting a new page for each product, each page can be optimized for search engines similar to the way we would optimized any other page. Therefore, each product page can be optimized to rank well for the specific name of the product as well as more general descriptions of that product.
3) Yoast SEO integration. If you use the Yoast SEO plugin (like we do), it integrates with WooCommerce product pages. This makes it super easy to set title and description tags for each product. It also means you get Yoasts SEO analysis and insight for each product page.
4) Category pages. In addition to automatically generating product pages, when you create categories for your products in WooCommerce, it also automatically generates category pages to help people navigate through the shopping cart to the products they’re looking for. Because category pages are generated automatically, it saves you time and don’t have to worry about broken links to the individual products in each category. Each category page also get a listing in search engines.
5) Category pages can be optimized. Category pages can also be optimized, enabling you to improve your search rankings for additional keywords. SEO Yoast integrates with category pages as well, making them easy to optimize and providing additional insight.
The SEO attributes of your online shopping cart can have a huge impact on search rankings, traffic and sales.
If you’re interested in improving search rankings, traffic and sales for your Christian-owned business, church, school or ministry, see our Christian / church SEO services.
- Do you have a shopping cart on your website? If so, have you consider its impact on your search rankings?
- What if anything have you done to improve your search rankings for products and categories of products in your online shopping cart?