Pros & Cons of Maintaining Your Own Website vs Having a Developer Do It
Today we continue our series of vidoes & blog posts about the web development process. One of the most common questions we receive is, “Will I be able to maintain the website myself?”
So, in this video we look at the pros and cons of maintaining your own website vs having a developer do it.
You can read the full transcript at: Will I be able to maintain the website myself?
The decision to maintain your own website vs have a developer maintain it for you is a big decision that needs to be made before you build your website or hire a web developer, because the type of website that is built is going to impact the way it is maintained.
Our philosophy is one of empowering organizations to update their own websites. We believe this saves money and enables organizations to get new information up on their website more quickly. In order for most organizations to be able to maintain their own website, there are two critical factors:
1) Web-Based Admin
If you use a desktop program to build and maintain your website, everyone who edits the website must have it installed on their computer. This usually limits the number of administrators (often to 1), which creates a bottleneck as well as issues when that individual is busy, unavailable or leaves the organization.
With a web-based admin tool like you get with WordPress, Joomla, Drupal or our NE1 Web Builder, there’s no software to install. Admin responsibilities can be delegated to lots of people. Those admins can update the site at any time from anywhere.
2) Simplicity & Support
Having a web-based admin is great, but it’s only as good as it is easy to use. If it’s extremely complex and not easy to use, many organizations will get stuck. It’s important to…
- Research the platform you’re considering ahead of time. How do other people rate its usability?
- Find out if training and tutorials are available
- Find out what kind of support will be provided by the developer if you need help understanding how to maintain your website
- Do you maintain your website yourself or have a developer do it for you? What was the reasoning behind your decision?
- Is your website updated via desktop program or web-based admin? Why did you go that route?