One of the fundamental aspects of SEO is using keywords on your site. If you don’t have the keywords appearing on your site, then how are the search engines supposed to know what to rank you for? Adding keywords to the text of your site may seem like an intimidating job, but it doesn’t have to be. Here are a few tips for using keywords in your text:
- Brainstorm keyword ideas. Normally, I recommend full keyword research looking at popularity, competition, and relativity of the keywords. However, if you don’t have time for that, a quick brainstorming session is better than nothing. So, spend 5 minutes trying to think of what keywords people might use when searching for what you offer.
- Keep the text natural. Just look for opportunities where you can exchange a word or add a work to get your keyword into the text. A lot of times it can be as simple as changing the way you phrased something. But try not to sacrifice the natural flow of the text to work keywords in.
- Stick to 1-2 keywords per page. The more keywords you try to jam into the text of page, the harder it will get to keep the text feeling natural. So, just try to work in 1 or 2 keywords for each page. If you can, use those one or two keywords a few times on the page.
- You don’t have to do this on every page. If you have a lot of pages, this could quickly become a major project instead of a quick one. But you don’t have to get keywords on every page. Just choose a few key pages and start there. You can always work on more pages later. Also, some pages may not lend themselves to adding keywords. It just doesn’t work naturally. That’s OK. Just skip those pages and work on others. If all you have are pages which are hard to add keywords, then you may need to rethink your keywords or your pages or think about adding some new pages.
- Think about keywords when creating new pages. The easiest way to work keywords into the text of a page is to have those keywords in mind when you’re creating the page in the first place. So, keep your keyword list handy. Whenever you create a new page, look over the list and try to work one or two of them into the text a few times.
Alright, time to do it. Take the next 15 minutes to create a keyword list and work some of the keywords into a few of your pages. You may be surprises how how it affects the traffic to your website.
Do you have any other tips for adding keywords onto your page?