Be alert, stand firm in the faith, be brave and strong. Your every [action] must be done with love. 1 Corinthians 16: 13-14 HCSB
Has anyone ever said to you, “You’ll never know until you try”? This is one of those sayings that my parents would repeat to me often. In fact I have sometimes said something quite similar to my own kids. This is one of those sayings that ought to be kept in mind by those involved in online ministry. If we want to be effective for Christ online we need to attempt things that have not be attempted before. We need to go boldly where nobody has gone before (please excuse the reference to Star Trek). That means taking chances, making mistakes and learning on the job.
My most recent endeavour is learning how to use a facebook page. My goal for this facebook page is fairly simple. I would like to see it become a ministry hub for those involved in organic church in Canada. The way I am preceding with this venture is by making the page open, interactive, participatory, challenging and a place to connect with resources. The following are some of the ways I am attempting to accomplish this goal.
5 things I am attempting or going to attempt on our FB page…
- Illustrate our ministry through pictures.
- Meet up with our online friends who are in our area face to face and encourage our friends who are out of our area to do the same.
- Give away resources to those participating on our facebook page in a fun way.
- Involve others in facilitating the facebook page.
- Create additional opportunities to interact online.
As I have been working towards accomplishing this task I have come to realize there are always more things to learn. I have especially seen how much potential there is for dark forces to take advantage of this technology. So, I have kept certain things in mind as I have been working on this page and ministering online.
The words that are recorded for us in scripture speak so clearly to me when I go online. The following are just a few of many that need to be kept close when ministering anywhere, but particularly online.
5 things to keep in mind when trying new things online…
- Be Discerning. Be careful that no one takes you captive through philosophy and empty deceit based on human tradition, based on the elemental forces of the world, and not based on Christ. Colossians 2:8 HCSB
- Be Faithful.Whoever is faithful in very little is also faithful in much, and whoever is unrighteous in very little is also unrighteous in much. Luke 16:10 HCSB
- Be Courageous. David said to Saul, “Don’t let anyone be discouraged by him; your servant will go and fight this Philistine!” 1 Samuel 17:32 HCSB
- Be Strong.“Be strong and courageous, for you will distribute the land I swore to their fathers to give them as an inheritance. Joshua 1:6 HCSB
- Do All Things In Love.Your every [action] must be done with love. 1 Corinthians 16:14 HCSB
It seems we often do not see things happening in our ministries because we are comfortable with what we have already achieved. However, I believe we will not realize our full potential for serving Christ online, until we attempt things that take us out of our comfort zone into a place of risk.
- What is it that God wants you to attempt online?
- Is there anything about the Internet that scares you?
- What has God been showing you as you’ve been living out your faith online?