Introducing @StickyJesus – The Group Blog Project

Sticky Jesus, @StickyJesusMay is Digital Outreach Month. What could be better than spending the month of May reading and discussing the book @StickyJesus: how to live out your faith online?

Social media tools like Facebook, Twitter, and blogs provide unprecedented opportunities to develop relationships, engage with others, and share ideas. This includes unprecedented opportunities to engage others in spiritual conversations.

@StickyJesus provides inspiration, insight and guidance to help those already online better live out their faith online, as well as to help who are sharing their faith and building the Kingdom of God offline to effectively expand their influence for God through the power of social networking.

A lot can be learned by reading @StickyJesus, but we can learn even more but discussing it and challenging each other to apply its principles. That’s what we’re going to do here. Here’s the schedule:

Date Chapter Blogger/Blog Twitter
Fri 5/27 11 Brandon Smith @mynameisbrandon
Mon 5/30 12 Rob Ross @oikosministries
Wed 6/1 13 Paul Steinbrueck @PaulSteinbrueck
Fri 6/3 14 Christie Weatherby @mizweatherby
Mon 6/6 15 Kawanzaa S. King @Kawanzaa_
Wed 6/8 Wrap Paul Steinbrueck @PaulSteinbrueck

Big thanks to the 15 bloggers who have stepped up to blog about and lead the discussion for a chapter!

While the opportunity to guest blog and lead discussion was limited to 15 people, anyone can participate in this group blog project in several other ways.

• Get a copy of @StickyJesus, read along with us.
  • Join the discussion on each chapter by reading and posting comments.
  • Blog about what you’re learning on your own blog (post a comment here with a link to your blog post, so others can read/comment on it)
  • Share links to each chapter’s post on Facebook, Twitter, & social bookmarking sites.

So let’s kick this off by getting to know each other a little…

Discussion

1. Introduce yourself. Where do you live? What do you do?
  2. Do you already use Facebook, Twitter, a blog or any other social media? If so, for what purpose?
  3. What are you hoping to gain from participating in this project?

Paul Steinbrueck is co-founder and CEO of OurChurch.Com, elder of CypressMeadows.org, husband, father of 3, blogger. You can follow him on Twitter at @PaulSteinbrueck and add him to your circles at Google+ as +Paul Steinbrueck.

42 Responses to “Introducing @StickyJesus – The Group Blog Project”

1. Alright! I'm the first one to post here. Don't I feel like an overachiever. Anyways, i posted today about why i'm getting involved with this project and the short answer: i stink at relationship.

No seriously I do just ask my wife. I really need to be as deliberate about my online relationships as I am about my personal relationship and I haven't been so this is a great chance for me to do that. Look forward to getting to know you all! :-)

2. PaulSteinbrueck May 2, 2011 at 9:52 am

Sage, thanks for taking the plunge. Just realizing now I should have gone first in answering these questions…

I'm Paul Steinbrueck, I live in Safety Harbor, FL and am co-founder and CEO of OurChurch.Com

In terms of social media, I'm the lead blogger here at Christian Web Trends. I also blog about making the most out of life at http://LiveIntentionally.org. I use Facebook, but I limit my Facebook "friends" to family and personal friends. I use Twitter much more to get to know new people, exchange ideas, and dialog with people who have different views.

There are at least 2 reason I'm excited about this project. First, I want to do some self-reflection on the way I'm currentl living out my faith online, and I'm asking the Holy Spirit to challenge me with things I should start doing, stop doing or could do more effectively for God. Second, I want to see more Christians more effectively living out their faith online. So, I'm praying that this discussion will not only impact the 16 of us blogging here, but lots of other people who participate here, and thousands of others who see our tweets and Facebook updates throughout this series and beyond.

3. Hey everyone, I am Sarah Holbrook and I live in Cypress, TX (suburb NW of Houston). I work at Cypress United Methodist Church as the Communications Director.

I started using Facebook first for personal use and then for the church. When I started to Tweet (for myself and the church @cypressumc), that is when my whole world opened up to a new way of communicating….online communication. It is so different than Facebook and so rich. I blog a bit, but love to read other people's blogs. I don't think I am a good writer, I usually have a great team of editors.

I hope to gain a new perspective on social media through this project and perspective on how to spread the Good News. Looking forward to reading all the posts. I

• PaulSteinbrueck May 2, 2011 at 4:07 pm

Hi Sarah, great to have you on board with another group blog project. I know several other bloggers in this project are on staff at churches. One of the things I'm interested in exploring is how churches can train, encourage, and resource their members to better use social media to live out their faith online.

4. Hey gang! I'm Crystal Rowe and I live in Atlanta, GA. I currently serve as Director of Youth Ministry and Adult Education at Lutheran Church of the Resurrection in Marietta GA (that's a mouthful!) I also use what little free time I have to blog (www.soulmunchies.com and http://www.bibledude.net)

I use social media for all sorts of things … there's not a day that goes by that I don't use at least one of them! I've found it a great way to communicate with people in my congregation, but also to form relationships with people I wouldn't otherwise come in contact with.

I'm so excited about this project. For a while now I've been trying to figure out the best way to really share the message of Jesus with people. I am looking forward to what this book has to say about how social media can play a role in doing just that.

• PaulSteinbrueck May 3, 2011 at 12:41 pm

Hi Crystal, you do a really good job with your blog, SoulMunchies.com. Glad to have you contributing your insight and perspective to this discussion.

5. PaulSteinbrueck May 2, 2011 at 4:01 pm

That's great, Brandon! I look forward to hearing more about your insights as we discuss the book and application as specifically as it regards to campus ministry.

6. Cindee Snider Re May 2, 2011 at 4:54 pm

Hi, I'm Cindee Snider Re and I live in Sussex, WI. I'm a homeschooling mom of five (10-18), graduating my first born in a few weeks. I currently write for a variety of smaller publications, including monthly for Northshore Church News.

I use my blog (http://www.breathedeeply.org), Facebook Arts/Humanities Page (http://www.facebook.com/home.php?#!/pages/Breathe-Deeply/176938555664759) and Twitter (@CindeeSniderRe) specifically for outreach. I love Twitter and the challenge of fitting "faith bites" into 140 characters, which I also post at my blog under the title, Sips of Grace.

My hope is to one day publish a coffee table type book of devotionals, poetry, Sips of Grace "faith bites" and photography in support of families serving on the mission field. We'll see where God leads. :)

I was excited to learn about @StickyJesus — The Group Blog Project and just ordered my book, so I'll be a little behind, but look forward to learning and growing through each day's posts. Thank you so much for the opportunty!

Grace and Peace,
    Cindee

• PaulSteinbrueck May 3, 2011 at 1:01 pm

Cindee, wow! I'm amazed that you're able to homeschool 5 kids, write, blog, and participate in the @StickyJesus group blog project. You're coffee table book is a great idea! I hope you make it happen!

7. hi, i'm claire and i did a readalong this year already of this book and just love it so i might join and write again! i live in New Zealand and am a stay at home mum with 2 school aged kids and involved in our young adults ministry at church.

i'm on both facebook and twitter (@fireball3316) and though i resisted both for ages am now a total addict and find them wonderful for keeping in contact with friends and family and making new friends and sharing information and great resources and i also have a fb page for our young adults ministry which keeps us all in contact and up to date with whats going on each week at church. i've also been blogging for a few years at http://www.onepassiononedevotion.wordpress.com i've had some amazing conversations online, either on my blog or fb or twitter about God and sometimes God just makes something click and someone, on the other side of the world, will just open up and there is an opportuntiy to speak to them about Jesus and His love and grace and pray with them and for them. its so wonderfl partnering with God to see people drawn closer to Him.

i'm hoping that as i go through the book again in this group read that my passion to shine for jesus will increase and that we'll be encouraged that we ARE making a diference for the kingdom of God in our real lives and on line and that i'll make more awesome connections around the world…

• PaulSteinbrueck May 3, 2011 at 12:44 pm

Hi Claire, I remember reading about you somewhere recently. ;) Neat to have you as a part of this conversation. I'm looking forward to learning from you.

8. Hi all, my name is Rob Ross and I live in Calgary, AB Canada. I am a disciple of Jesus, a husband, a father and an online/offline missionary.

I use facebook http://www.facebook.com/RossRJ to keep in touch with family, friends, and colleagues. I am also admin for our ministry page http://www.facebook.com/oikosministries and one of the admins for Making Disciples http://www.facebook.com/Disciple.Making on facebook. Twitter http://twitter.com/oikosministries has been one of my favourite social networking platforms. I am also involved as an online missionary for Global Media Outreach http://www.globalmediaoutreach.com/ and part of a panel of speakers for Internet Evangelism Day http://www.internetevangelismday.com/speaker.php. My intended purpose for everything I do online is to bring people closer to Jesus and to make disciples.

I am excited about this project. My work schedule is usually very heavy so I often need a reason to sit down and type in my thoughts. This project gives me motivation both to write my post and to read each of your posts. I know from past experience that I will be learning a great deal from each of you. Blessings.

9. Christie Weatherby May 2, 2011 at 10:40 pm

Hi, I'm Christie. I recently moved from West Texas to Colorado.

I am currently working on a book called "100 Things Your Preacher's Wife Wishes She Could Say but Probably Never Will".

I have a page on Facebook called "The Worst Preacher's Wife Ever". (I do not have a blog but write in the "discussions" part of the FB page.) Most of the time I feel like I am the worst preacher's wife ever and I often talk about things in church and ministry that no one wants to talk about or address and things that no one warned me about before I went into ministry. I am honest about my daily and spiritual struggles and I love helping people and being available to others that are struggling themselves.

I am fairly new to Twitter (@mizweatherby) but have made some great friends in the short time I have been there and have been able to share my faith with a few. I am a bit awkward so I am excited to learn how to share my faith more and better!

• PaulSteinbrueck May 3, 2011 at 12:48 pm

Christie, that's an awesome name for a Facebook page ("The Worst Preacher's Wife Ever") I know many preachers' wives feel a lot of pressure to be perfect in so many ways. I imagine many of them feel like they're failing miserably because they're trying to live up to an impossible standard. There's a great opportunity for ministry there.

10. Hi everyone! I'm Kawanzaa King and I live in North Plainfield, New Jersey. I am a lay speaker, and I believe God is teaching me how to use my passion for broadcast media to share the Good News.

I have accounts with FB (facebook.com/ksking98) and Twitter. I tend to use my FB account more for connecting with family and friends, and sharing my radio ministry. I recently started an internet radio station that broadcasts contemporary Christian music 24/7. I host a live broadcast on the station called Your Sunday Morning Wake-Up and Inspiration. I would really like to learn how to effectively share the good news within a 140 characters on Twitter :-) I also use a website and blog to share stories of faith @ http://www.livelifeonpurposetoday.com. I'm not as active as I would like to be as a blogger :-/.

I am so excited about this project. I was looking at the book on the @Sitcky Jesus blog site, and thinking, I really need to read this book. A day later, I receive a tweet about the group blog project. Amazing! God's timing is perfect.

Blessings Abound!
    Kawanzaa :-)

• PaulSteinbrueck May 3, 2011 at 12:57 pm

Hi Kawanzaa, I'm really excited to hear what God does for you through this book and discussion. One of the awesome things about blogging and social media is the way they compliment and amplify each other as well as other media. As they say, "content is king," and with your work in radio broadcasting you are bound to have some interesting callers and topics that come up on your radio show that could serve for the basis for some great blog posts, which then can be shared on Facebook and Twitter. You're also likely to come across great content on Facebook, Twitter, and other blogs that would make for great content for your broadcasting. The possibilities are limitless!

11. Wanda Simpson / May 3, 2011 at 7:34 am

I'm Wanda Simpson. I live in Hopwood, PA, about 50 miles south of Pittsburgh. My day job involves training and designing training. I have been interested in using social media and technology for learning for a long time now. I teach Sunday school and lead small groups at my home church and I use PowerPoint and video and it's well received. I use Twitter professionally and FB for family and friends.

One day I just decided that our church needed a web presence and just created a website, opened a FB and Twitter account, and then just sat back to see what would happen. It was about then I found @StickyJesus. What started out as an "it would be nice to have" is now a central part of our ministry. We can reach out to our congregation and community at the same time.

I am excited to participate in this project. I love to write. We just finished up a study on the Holy Spirit, Forgotten God and I made a personal action plan for myself. Blogging is a part of that and I hope my message is blessed!

12. Matches Malone May 3, 2011 at 11:13 am

I'm a filmmaker, I do indeed have several blogs, however, the most relevant for this series is either http://getstimulustoday.com or http://my168project.co. I use both to raise money for when I participate in The 168 Project, a speed filmmaking competition where teams are given a theme, a Bible verse, and a week to make a ten minute short film. This year, my superhero action comedy Blue Blazes, was a finalist selection. Any donations given at either site mentioned above will go toward maintaining the sites, and making the sequel to Blue Blazes next season, which starts in August. Thanks for your time, and consideration.

13. Elder Patrick L. Adams May 3, 2011 at 11:28 am

Hey everyone, I'm Patrick Adams and I live in North Plainfield, New Jersey. I am an ordained Elder of a non-denominational Church in New York, and am following the Holy Spirit whose leading me to spread the Good News and learn a new way to effectively promote and advance the kingdom of God.

Majority of my ministry has been primarily within the four walls of the church and it was not until last year that I stepped out on faith and started getting involved in this arena called social media. I also work with a fellow blogger, Mrs. Kawanzaa King at the radio station's Morning Wake-Up and Inspirations.

I am on Facebook but use my blog; which I just started this week, (reverendpatrickadamswordsofinspirations.wordpress.com) where I try to inspire, encourage, and comfort through words of inspiration. I also have posted on the blog, inspirational text messages that I share with many on Monday's and devotions I send out on Wednesday's.

I am so glad to hear about this project and looking forward following you guys with the reading of this book @Sitcky Jesus.

Peace and Blessings

14. Sliding in late here. I'm Sandra/Sandy/Snady. I answer to all three. I live in the same farmhouse my husband grew up in outside Lansing, Michigan. I have two grown children and two grandgirls.

I worked for years as a nurse, but now I focus on writing. It's always been my passion, and I've had some modest publishing success. Currently, I'm working on two books–a devotional and a historical romance. At least I think it'll be a romance. I also teach a ladies Bible study

I'm active on both Facebook and Twitter in order to network, keep in touch with friends and family, and to share the Good News. I connected with Tami on Twitter–which led to a trip south for a tweet-up weekend with her and Toni and other "peeps."

This will be my third trip through this book, having read it before release for review and then during the read-along (waves at Claire). It's definitely a book for such a time as this where we can all serve on the mission field from our armchair.

Looking forward to this project.

15. 2krazybeautiful May 5, 2011 at 12:12 pm

Well, Sandra, I am much "later" than you! (Had a Spring Bible Study to wrap up, but now I'm caught up). My name is Lisa. I'm a Christ Follower, Associate Pastor's Wife, Homeschooling mom to a soon-to-be High School graduate, ministry leader/teacher/conference leader and creative homemaker. I live "next-door" to Wichita, Kansas.

I am active on Twitter and Facebook, but keep my Facebook friends almost exclusively to those I've met face-to-face. I also blog (though I'm working on the regularly part) about faith, home, family & life in general. I want my online presence to be filled with salt, light & authenticity without sounding preachy…and I'm still working at it.

This is my first time through @StickyJesus. I have been involved with my church's web presence for a couple of years and finally got them started with social media about a year ago. I am also beginning to consult with my two-state denominational convention's women's leadership department about social media/networking. I still have a LOT to learn to be helpful to these ministries.

Excited to be a part of this project!

16. Hello! I am Janelle Keith. I am grateful believer in our Lord Jesus Christ. I am also a radio DJ on a Christian Radio Station http://www.TheHouseFM.com. I also serve as the Promotions Director there. I am a blogger. The reason I blog is to share what God has done in my life and share the things He teaches me. I inspire change, and pray my change may be a catalyst for change in others. I am active on Facebook, Twitter, and have my own website http://www.janellekeith.com. But most importantly I am a work in progress by our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ. Nice to meet you all.

Trackbacks/Pingbacks

1. 14 Ways to Learn, Live, Lead and Leverage Your Faith for Internet Evangelism Day | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 3, 2011

[...] Read the book @StickyJesus and participate in the group discussion taking place here on Christian Web Trends over the next [...]

2. > @StickyJesus 1) you: born for such a time as this | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 4, 2011

[...] @StickyJesus project A wife, mother and geek looking to share Jesus with my corner of the world! On Twitter as @wls1961, Facebook administrator for WhitehouseFMC and web administrator for whitehouse-fmc.org. social networking blogging, Facebook, social media, twitter 14 Ways to Learn, Live, Lead and Leverage Your Faith for Internet Evangelism Day [...]

3. Digital Evangelism Issues: Blogging through Digital Evangelism Month | Sound Shore Media - May 5, 2011

[...] their explanation of the month’s discussion, and the first post in the series. Follow the discussions and [...]

4. > @StickyJesus 2) Jesus: the stickiest story ever told | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 9, 2011

[...] you: born for such a time as this <– @StickyJesus project –>3) Jesus: Author of Relationships Crystal Rowe is the primary author over at [...]

5. > @StickyJesus 3) Jesus: Author of Relationships | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 11, 2011

[...] Jesus: the stickiest story ever told <– @StickyJesus project –>4) Jesus: Master of buzz I’ve been all over the place, and tried to learn a lot, but [...]

6. > @stickyJesus 4) Jesus: Master of buzz | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 11, 2011

[...] this article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the fourth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

7. > @stickyJesus 5) Jesus: King of content | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 13, 2011

[...] this article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the fifth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

8. > @StickyJesus 6) Holy Spirit: The Power Source | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 16, 2011

[...] this article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the sixth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

9. > @stickyJesus 7) Christ followers: the game changers | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 18, 2011

[...] article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the seventh in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

10. > @stickyJesus 8) Warning: Danger Zones | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 20, 2011

[...] article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the eighth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

11. > @StickyJesus 9) Quiet: The Humility Zone | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 23, 2011

[...] this article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the ninth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

12. > @StickyJesus 10) cost: everything | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 25, 2011

[...] this article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the tenth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

13. > @StickyJesus 11) demystifying: Facebook | Christian Web Trends Blog - May 27, 2011

[...] article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the eleventh in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

14. cost: everything | One Bondservant's Diary - May 27, 2011

[...] Reposting a recent post from the @StickyJesus group blog project. [...]

15. > @StickyJesus 13) demystifying: blogging | Christian Web Trends Blog - Jun 1, 2011

[...] article 0 ShareIn celebration of Internet Evangelism Month, this is the thirteenth in a 15-part blog project discussing the book, @stickyJesus: how to live out your faith [...]

16. > @StickyJesus 14) demystifying: content gathering | Christian Web Trends Blog - Jun 3, 2011

[...] demystifying: blogging <– @StickyJesus project –> Christie is mom to two crazy-wonderful kids and one dog that can't hold her licker. She [...]

17. Digital Evangelism Issues: Anime – a key genre for communication | Sound Shore Media - Jun 6, 2011

[...] their explanation of the month’s discussion, and the first post in the series. Follow the discussions and [...]

18. > @StickyJesus Wrap-Up: 3 Takeaways & 3 Questions | Christian Web Trends Blog - Jun 8, 2011

[...] Tweet this article 0 ShareAfter 6 weeks and 15 bloggers leading the discussion on the 15 chapters of @StickyJesus we have reached the end of this group blogging [...]

19. > @StickyJesus 15) you: a witness | Christian Web Trends Blog - Jun 8, 2011

[...] demystifying: content gathering <– @StickyJesus project –> Wrap-Up: 3 Takeaways & 3 Questions Internet Evangelism Day @StickyJesus, [...]

20. One Easy Tool for Improving Your Ministry’s Connectivity That You Might Already Be Utilizing | Christian Web Trends Blog - Jul 12, 2011

[...] By Bruce Crews Jul 12, 2011 211250 Commentshttp%3A%2F%2Fblog.ourchurch.com%2F2011%2F07%2F12%2Fone-easy-tool-for-improving-your-ministry%25e2%2580%2599s-connectivity-that-you-might-already-be-utilizing%2FOne+Easy+Tool+for+Improving+Your+Ministry%E2%80%99s+Connectivity+That+You+Might+Already+Be+Utilizing2011-07-12+11%3A00%3A34Bruce+Crewshttp%3A%2F%2Fblog.ourchurch.com%2F%3Fp%3D21125 Tweet this article 0 ShareDoes any other blogger out there struggle with consistently creating quality content? I sure do. However, back in May of this year, I stumbled upon an article detailing an exciting group project that invigorated me and filled me with a renewed sense of intentional purpose. In celebration of Digital Outreach Month, Paul Steinbrueck here at ourchurch.com was heading up a group blogging adventure through the book Sticky Jesus: how to live out your faith online. This story, written by the always enjoyable Tami Heim and Toni Birdsong, was a thorough introduction of the how’s and why’s in utilizing social media outlets to share God’s Good News with a much broader base of individuals. You can learn more about this project by clicking here. [...]