Yesterday on my personal blog, I reviewed Ed Cyzewski’s new book, A Path to Publishing. In the book Ed writes,
“I strongly suggest that you consider developing a regularly updated blog as a first priority.”
Blogging provides a number of essential benefits to becoming a successful author. Here are 10.
1) A blog provides a place for authors to practice writing.
2) A blog provides a place for authors to flesh out ideas, getting feedback from readers about them.
3) A blog provides a place to connect with readers and potential buyers of their books.
4) A blog provides authors a place to connect with other bloggers and authors who could help promote their book.
5) A blog provides authors a place to post reviews of other books and participate in blog tours as a way of building relationships with other blogs and learning about blog tours.
6) A blog builds an author’s credibility and platform, which is one of the things publishers consider when deciding whether to offer a contract for a book.
7) Blog posts are indexed by search engines & will bring new visitors to an author’s site to buy their books.
8 ) Blog posts may be shared through social media by your readers, which will bring new visitors to an author’s site as a result.
9) Blog posts give an author good content to share on Facebook and Twitter, helping them build their Facebook and Twitter followers as well.
10) Authors attempting to make writing their career can sell ad space on their blog to generate revenue to supplement that generated from book sales.
How important do you think blogging is for authors? Which of the benefits of blogging listed above, are most important to you? What other benefits does blogging offer authors?