Can Twitter Help Your SEO?
I caught this discussion in the Web Pro World forums – Twitter for SEO – No Purpose for Twitter. While several people said Twitter could be useful for marketing in general, no one could come up with any direct search engine optimization benefits to Twitter. Some even seemed sure there aren’t any SEO benefits to using Twitter.
But here are 5 SEO benefits of using Twitter I came up with off the top of my head:
1) Google indexes tweets. Check out these search results. Note that #3 through #10 are all tweets. The links in the tweets do have the nofollow tag, though, so their value is debatable.
2) Twitter scrapers add links within tweets to their sites. Here’s an example of a page on topsy.com that is linking to a blog article of mine.
3) People blog about tweets. Many of the people I follow on twitter blog. The tweet links to their blog articles. If it’s a great article, I might blog about it. All because I heard about it through twitter.
4) Twitter can help you build relationships that lead to links. This is by far the biggest SEO impact because they are the most valuable links. For example, I’m helping to organize a group blog project on the book Trust Agents by Chris Brogan and Julien Smith. Sixteen of us will be guest blogging, commenting, and cross linking. Several of these people I met through twitter.
5) People retweet. And when they retweet your tweets it leads to more of 1-4.