Is Online Community Biblical?
More and more churches are launching Internet campuses, aka virtual churches. Meanwhile, people continue to debate whether Biblical community can really exist online. Drew Goodmanson weighed in with his perspective on Thursday with an excellent article entitled Is Online Community real Community? Questions about the Virtual Church
In the article Drew cites 27 “one anothering” verses from scripture. Looking at these verses it’s clear that while some “one anothering” can be done online, there are certainly some things that are not technologically possible to do in an online community and in those areas a virtual church simply can’t live up to the biblical standard.
Getting even more practical…
How would you feel about being a part of a church that couldn’t do any of the following:
- Help you move
- Watch your kids so you can have a date night with your spouse
- Be at the funeral when you’ve lost a loved one
- Bring you meals after you had a new baby
- Take you out for coffee or a ballgame if your spouse walked out
- Give you a hug when life is hard
- Look you in the eye and realize there’s more going on in your life than you’re saying
How would you feel if you couldn’t do those things for others?
To me, that’s what being the church is all about… being there.