10 Tips to Overcoming Leader/Geek Communication Breakdowns
Yesterday I posted about communication breakdowns between church leaders and the people building and managing church websites (aka, geeks). Today we (as my pastor likes to say) move to the solution side. Derived from a session at the Interactive Church Conference, here are 10 tips to overcoming communication breakdowns.
- Acknowledge the differences
- Hang out together
- Mutual respect of roles
- Have some heated discussion
- Walk in the other’s shoes
- Take a chance on trust
- Geeks – stop the geek speak
- Leaders – share some real details
- Geeks – learn about mission and ministry
- Leaders – learn about technology
Doing these things will not only overcome communication breakdowns but help to prevent them in the first place.
So, what do you think? Is it worth the time and effort these things take in order to avoid communication breakdowns? Which of these do you need to do at your church?